Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Introducing you to my skincare obsession...

Those of you (my zero followers...haha) that know me, probably have heard me talk endlessly about my skin. I'm overly obsessed with it. It's actually on the forefront of my mind all the time. I'm not your typical 30-something year old whose main concern is anti-aging. Although anti-aging is important to me, my primary skincare concern is my acne issues. YES, I am a 31 year old who battles with acne. I'm not talking about a few small red spots at "that time of the month." I'm talking about huge, red, burning cysts that have their own heartbeat!!! I'm telling ya...when you have 5 or 6 of those bad boys on your face, you don't exactly feel like doing the "beauty queen smile and wave routine" in the middle of Target. (Lub dub, ouch, lub dub, ouch, lub dub, smile...) 

The reason why I'm discussing this topic now is because I intend to blog a lot about this in the future. I would call myself a self-proclaimed expert on the topic of skincare and acne treatments. After all, not many people have tried as many topical products, pills, and invasive treatments as I have. I'm primarily going to focus on adult acne and adult skincare topics. Mainly because that's what I'm passionate about, there isn't a lot of information about it, and even less products available to treat it. 

Skincare is my obsession for sure! (Sometimes I think I get pimples from stressing about pimples!) I've put in endless hours of research for myself, and I've personally tried hundreds (if not thousands) of skincare products over the years. I've tried drugstore brands, mail order products, professional creams and topicals, oral medications, laser treatments, chemical peels, ultraviolet light treatments, injections in my face, herbal supplements, diet changes, hormonal medications, and other treatments I'm probably forgetting about. I've invested a lot of money into getting my acne under control. Some things have worked and some things have not. The things that have worked usually only work for a short period of time. And the things that don't work usually make the problem worse.

If I were to add up every penny I've spent on this crap, I would guesstimate it would roughly total into the tens of thousands of dollars. And unfortunately my over-sized pores are still sucking up my money. Currently, I am beginning my 4th month of Accutane, which some say is a last resort SUPER CURE!!! (Yeah, we'll see about that--sounds like a future blog to me!) Accutane is a strong medication that isn't very good for the body. I have to get my liver enzymes checked every month to make sure it's not damaging my liver. My skin is extremely dry and fragile. And not to mention, I'm still breaking out! Accutane isn't cheap either. Without insurance, this stuff costs about $600 for a 30-day supply. (Thank God for insurance! I pay about $100). I have 2 months left...

I do have some favorite products that I've tried over the years. The first one that comes to mind is the Patricia Wexler line sold at Bath and Body Works. This product line is geared for adult skin. They even have an adult acne line!! Yeah, I know...unbelievable!! I used it for years, and would probably still be using it if I weren't on my new "miracle drug." Her line of anti-aging products are amazing too. Another product I highly recommend is Neosporin...(yes I did mean to say Neosporin.) It's perfect to put on chapped lips (I put a little on my lips under vasaline before bed), or heal a pimple on your face that has recently exploded.

...You know I have more fav's, but I can't share all my secrets quite yet!

Just in case anyone cares besides me...Right now I'm currently not using any other acne treatment other than Accutane. I wash my face morning and night using Aveeno Ultra Calming foaming wash. The dermatologist has prescribed Biafine Cream (primarily used to treat severe burns) as a moisturizer which I use morning and night. And I'm now using BareEscentuals mineral makeup, which I LOVE! I can see how the BareEscentuals product line will become my next addiction (and yet another future blog post I'm sure).

...Well off to wash my face now! Feel free to comment and happy blogging to all my millions of followers! (wink wink)

9 comments:

  1. I am following Shanny... Keep it up girl..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Blog I always had good skin until after I got pregnant.....now they have a pulse and my face swells. I think its from nerves cause I get them in stressful situations.... So keep me posted if you ever find the miricle cure!! Good luck too =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Missi! Adult acne sucks doesn't it? So far the only way I can keep the huge cysts at a minimum, and without completely exploding, is to go to the dermatologist and get steroid injections in them. Other than that, it seems birth control helps too. Yaz seemed to help me for a while. Now I'm on Accutane so we'll see how this works! Just remember to keep Neosporin on hand for when they do pop. Neosporin will help with any infection and also helps diminish scarring. I prefer the kind with pain reliever in it for an added benefit! Thanks for commenting and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Accutane when I was 24 for all the reasons you've talked about. It wasn't a super cure, I still get pimples, but I don't get the pain full giant red ones anymore or just every now and then. I'm glad I did it though, my skin returned to "normal" after about 6 months, and now it's pretty even most the time, though products are HUGE for me. I'm a big fan of Mario Badescu I always try to switch off of it because I have to order it from NY (though now you can get it in Nordstroms and select salons) but I end up with uneven pimply skin so I always go back. Best of luck with finishing up, I'm really glad I did it - it made a huge difference in my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Megan! You give me hope that someday, maybe these huge cysts will be a thing of the past! And I've never heard of that product before. I'm going to Google it right now...thanks so much!! I'm always up for trying a new product!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shantel! I love you! Really, I have been reading your blogs and I swear you say the things Ive either felt, said or have gone through. Well besides the wife and having kids things. But I have to finally comment on one of your posts, because as of right now, Im writing this with a face mask on. One for black heads and pore cleansing. I swear I have giant craters on my nose. And nothing works unless I force the dirt out of those bad boys daily.
    I have taken Accutane a few years back. My sister also took it. It worked for the most part. Can't complain. Yes, dry skin, and yes, expensive.
    My sister turned me on to a nice beauty hint. I was my face every night with Dial Antibiotic hand soap. Doesnt over dry, inexpensive and boy have I found my skin never clearer. Except for the crater pores I still have.
    And I have tried my fair share of facial cleansers. I would say out off all of them, I have seen the most clear skin with Dial. As for neosporin/triple antibiotic creams-same take on them. Think about the acne being a bacteria. It works.
    I would always count on giant deep, connected to every nerve in my face, heart beating, own area-code havin' zit on your face, during my period. But I can't remember the last time I had to deal with that, knock on wood. Still get a few lil clogged pores that might become a pesky white head (I just puked a little typing that word) but those are a quick fix compared to the cystic/nodular acne.
    I also wear OR masks every day at work. There are numerous ones to chose from at work. I know what one works. And most will give me the bumps that Jessica Simpson complained about on the Proactive commercial.

    As for your Jr. Vs. Womens sections at the stores....Same problem. I always feel like Im trying to dress too young by shopping in the Jr.s section, and wayyyyyy too old by looking in the frumpy womens clothing section. Old Navy makes me feel OK, maybe because they dont have the sections. Mens, Womens, Kids. A NO BRAINER. LOL If I shop in the Juniors section I keep it plain and classy, not trashy. I recently bought like four sweaters of the same style, different colors. In the Jrs dept and because they didn't age me! Its either smart or OCD.

    Ok Ive ranted enough on your blog. You might have inspired me to start blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I never heard from you about Tracey's Bachelorette party in April !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the amazing comments Katie! I had no idea you took accutane before, and I would have never guessed you had problem skin! You sure know how to fool everyone with either clever makeup, or cleansing tricks! I will definitely have to try the Dial soap....probably after the rounds of accutane because at this moment I'm too dry to try anything for the first time. I definitely think you should start blogging too! You are hilarious, and I will definitely be your first follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skills baby, skills! My sis and I always joked, I told her I would accentuate my eye makeup to take attention away from the problem blemish. Smoky, dramatic eyes are the trick LOL.
    I think I used eucerin or cetaphil for a good moisturizer. The air out here is so dry already, I could never imagine. And Burts Bee's all the way. I used to swear by carmex for chapped lips, but Burts is my new shit.

    I never knew you had problem skin either, for real. You would think as we got older it would go away. Another friend of mine and I, sometimes refer it to 13 year old acne. Ick!

    And any mineral powder is the shit. Doesnt really matter the brand or price, Ive tried it all from Bare to Avon Brand. Great results from all!

    ReplyDelete